Way of Western Nebraska
Click here to learn about other ways to give to
United Way of Western Nebraska
and how to
Monica Bartling and Doug Mader
Watch the Campaign 2015-2016 Video here!
UNITED WAY OF WESTERN NEBRASKA
Announces Appointment of new Director for Box Butte County
Alliance - The United Way of Western Nebraska serving Box Butte County is pleased to announce Karen Benzel has accepted the position of Director for the United Way of Western Nebraska serving Box Butte County.
Benzel is a native of Western Nebraska. She was raised on her family ranch north of Ashby and graduated from Hyannis High School. In 2003, she received her Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science from the University of Kansas. After living in Kansas for six years, it was time to come home. In 2007, she moved north of Alliance where she currently resides with her husband, Jeremy, and their five children: Matthias, Andrew, Hannah, James and Veronica.
Benzel is the former director of the Box Butte County Handyman Program and was part of the fundraising team to bring St. Maximilian Kolbe Radio (Spirit Radio) to Alliance. She enjoys volunteering for various organizations and is currently Vice-President of the Panhandlers Club and Newsletter Editor for the DCCW.
Steph Black, Executive Director for United Way of Western Nebraska believes that the appointment of Benzel will be positive for Box Butte County. “Karen has a strong desire to improve her community and support the agencies which receive funding from United Way. She is planning to do what it takes to keep the United Way growing and relevant to Box Butte County and has already begun working in that direction.”
Are you LOOKING for opportunities to give back and make a difference???…….
Like us on facebook if you enjoy making a difference by giving back to others! Feel free to share comments on ways you give back!
- deliver meals to a homebound person. (SB County Volunteer Center - 632-3736)
- walk a shelter dog(s) - you will get some exercise and make a lonely dog’s day!(Panhandle Humane Society- 635-0922)
- become an advocate for a child in the court system (CASA 672-2922)
- deliver commodities or grocery shop for elderly, disabled and homebound people. (SB County Volunteer Center 632-3736)
- be a scout leader (Longs Peak Council, Boy Scouts 632-4179)
- be a side-walker at Buckboard Therapeutic Riding Academy 783-2319
- serve on a board! Currently seeking board members are: Legal Aid of NE 632-4734, Camp Scott436-7304, DOVES 436-2787, Monument Family Connections 641-9497
- help in a classroom-be a community reader (reads a book to group of children); share a skill with a group of children; in the spring/summer help with garden areas (Western NE Child Development Center 633-3211, CAPWN 635-3089)
- A monetary donation to United Way helps 24 programs in our community! Visit www.united wayofwesternnebraska.com to Click & Give to United Way!!!
- Non-perishable food, toiletries, household items to families affected by domestic violence (DOVES 436-2787)
- Dog or cat food, bleach, towels, ziploc bags (complete wish list at panhandlehumanesociety.org (Panhandle Humane Society 635-0922)
- Disposable diapers (Diaper Depot 635-2548)
- Rubbermaid containers with lids, old t-shirts, wicker baskets, spices, puddings, perfumes (complete wish list at riversidediscoverycenter.org
- Gently used wheelchairs, canes, walkers, handicap assistive devices (Panhandle Independent Living Services 635-7901)
- Non-perishable food (Guadalupe Center 632-2845)
In 1945 a small group of volunteer businessmen formed the Scottsbluff
Community Chest, an independent fundraising association. Its purpose
was to raise funds for ten prominent community charities. That year,
the first campaign raised $26,359 which was distributed among those
the years, other agencies have joined our association. Agency names
changed, agencies merged and some simply no longer exist. Today
there are 19 member agencies, including one of the original agencies,
In the 2012-2013
annual campaign, the United Way of Western Nebraska raised over
$429,000. Since their humble beginning, the United Way of Western
Nebraska has raised more than $8,909,303 to help those in need and
in building a stronger, healthier and more compassionate community..the
Become a fan of United Way of Western Nebraska
on facebook...click below!